This is a visual tool that gives a basic outline on how to plan the sections for creating inclusive policies and procedures for your organization, collective, or group. Ideally, these policies and procedures would center those most affected by the mission and ideals of the group, as well as have them in leadership positions, so they would not have to be considered simply “included”.
Having something written down ensures that even if individual members of the group leaves, these words can continue afterwards as part of the group’s story, a record that helps guide new members to live out the group’s ideals. On top of that, when the group needs to align more with its ideals, the policies can be changed to continue to reflect the growth of the group.
Divide the group into three, and assign each group one of each of the following posters: Dis/Ableism 101, the Pillars of White Supremacy, and The Gender Binary. Each group then has to work as a small collective writing policies and procedures to combat the specific oppression they were assigned within their organization.
The main colours are white and orange. At the top of the post is the word “INCLUSIVE”. The is a dark orange and light orange box underneath the word.
In the dark orange box, in white font, is the following text:
– What is your organization about? (Empowerment? Rights? Protection?)
– What is this policy for? (Attitudes, knowledges, practices, etc.)
– Who is it for? (Board, clients, staff, guests, etc.)
– Ex: diversity, equity, anti-discrimination, democratic, anarchistic, collaborative, etc.,
– State the situation/problem and solution
In the light orange box, in dark orange font, is the following text:
COMMITMENTS/AREAS OF FOCUS
– Governance (representation
– Employment (equitable access)
-Services (equitable access)
– Training & Education (for providers serving clients)
– Info & Communication (for diverse communities about the services)
– Complaints & Accountability (for organization and providers to be accountable to the community and each other)
– ensure accessibility
– Update staff, forms, manuals, and other documentation”
Want to have access to the larger full colour updated 2019 poster, the original photograph of the hand-drawn 2016 poster, and other anti-oppression related teaching tools? Click on the link below and subscribe for as little as $3/month. By becoming a patron, you support healing work among my communities, and the indigenous Elders that mentor me.